After a 2 week hiatus, Christoph Coaching is back in action!
I am going to start setting up the week a little differently. Each week, I will give a:
1. suggested yoga video
2. recovery routine
3. Nutrition Tip of the week
4. strength workout (2)-one at home workout and one at gym workout
5. and cardio workout (3)-one steady state, one interval, and one tempo (long interval)
Each Monday, I will post an overview post to help you prepare for the week!
Yoga Video of the Week
Try this morning yoga routine to energize you on chilly mornings!
Try at least one lax ball exercise each day. You can also do these exercises with a tennis ball if the lax ball is a bit too much pressure!
Nutrition Tip of the Week
Prepare 1 meal for the week in advance. This is a great time of year for crock pot recipes!
Try these tips to make 1 dish healthy crockpot meals that you can set and forget in the morning, arriving home from work to the smell of a home cooked meal that will be ready in minutes!
Anatomy of a healthy crockpot dinner recipe
1. High quality protein: go for lean cuts of chicken, beef, or pork. Try vegetarian sources of protein such as beans
2. Colorful veggies and/or fruits: fruits and veggies add fiber, vitamins and minerals and flavor! Save some money by going for frozen veggies in the winter. They are often just as, if not more nutrient dense as fresh, since they are flash frozen on the fields from which they are picked, and by mixing them in soups or sauces, the flavor is vibrant and the texture isn’t an issue.
3. Whole grain or high fiber starchy veggie: add potatoes with skin, sweet potatoes, quionoa, millet, brown rice or whole grain pasta for b vitamins, iron and fiber!
4. Healthy fats and low sodium, low sugar sauces: If your recipe calls for a fat, go for a high quality olive oil or coconut oil. Be wary of recipes that call for condensed soup, ketchup, and bouillon cubes, as these can add a good amount of sugar and sodium. Spice up your recipe with herbs, spices and low sodium broth or stock!
Chicken Dish: Lemon Chicken and Veggies
1 1/2 pounds potatoes, cut into chunks (sweet or white, or butternut squash also works!)
1 small onion, wedged
1 Tablespoon quick cooking tapioca
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 pounds chicken breasts
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¼ cup lemon juice
(optional: Tbsp. honey)
3 Tablespoons Dijon mustard (or honey mustard)
1lb bag frozen veggies (beans, peas, carrots, corn)
In a 4-6 quart slow cooker layer the potatoes and onions. Sprinkle with the tapioca and top with chicken. Season chicken with salt, pepper and half teaspoon of oregano. Cover with bag of frozen veggies. In a small bowl whisk together the lemon, Dijon, and half teaspoon of oregano. Pour over chicken and potatoes. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
1. At Home Body weight workout: Do a brief dynamic warmup, followed by 10-15 rounds of: 5 pushups, 10 squats, 15 bicycles each leg, 20 second plank or handstand hold
Cool down with some lax ball exercises
2. dumbbell partner workout (performed Thursday at noon at HCC)
5-10 minute warmup on bike, followed by 4-5 rounds of:
1 partner bikes while other performs 5 push press, 5 thruster, 5 push up, 5 burpee, 5 low row, 5 reverse fly, 5 bicycles, 5 baskets, 5 man makers, 1 turkish get up each side (switch partner while other bikes)
Cool down with some lax ball exercises
If you do this workout on your own, you can bike for 3 minutes followed by the exercises for 5 rounds!
1. 30 minutes steady state run (try to get outside for this one!) plus morning yoga routine
2. Interval workout (performed on bike Monday at noon spin class): 10 minute warmup followed by 5 rounds of 20 sec hard/20 easy/30 hard/20 easy/40 hard/20 easy/50 hard/20 easy/60 hard/20 easy/2 minutes standing moderate hill/1 minute rest. Cool down 10 minutes. Stretch at the end!
3. 5 minute warmup. 2 by 20 minute intervals with 5 minutes rest between. Increase pace every 4 minutes, starting easy and getting a bit quicker until the last 4 minutes feel hard. Try getting in the yoga routine today!